Skip to main content

Breakfast Rut

Dylan is the only one of us at the moment who has to get out of the house at a specific time in the morning (more on that another day) so breakfast for him is a must. I guess I'm lucky that he likes cereal, but he wants cold cereal every day. Every. Single. Day. I try offering him banana bread or yogurt or fruit or eggs. He would just rather have cereal. I know I am the mom and could say well we are having this for breakfast but since we get most of our cereal free through WIC I'm not in a tussle about it and we aren't going in the whole over $4 boxes of cereal. Anyway this last weekend was a 3 day weekend thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. so I spent a good chunk of time scanning fun blogs for make ahead meals and snack ideas when I came across this great recipe for sausage pancake muffins. I thought we had pancake mix in the pantry and could use it up but just followed her recipe (although I just used white flour because that's what I buy) and also added extra syrup into the mix as well. I also used one of the over a dozen lbs. of elk breakfast sausage Shane made that we had in the freezer. We ate up a bunch of the muffins the morning I made them and every morning since then Dylan has asked for them for breakfast. I'm a fan since they were super cheap, pretty easy to make and he's getting protein when he wasn't getting much before. I'm not at all a huge fan of ground elk (esp. during pregnancy) but this recipe is really yummy and I didn't even notice it wasn't pork. We also tried the corn dog muffin recipe from Laura's website, but I thought the muffin was a little too corny and not enough doggy. There are still several left of both muffins left in the freezer for quick breakfasts or lunches so I'm glad I got ahead a little this weekend.
Here is Lincoln eating the end of a loaf of chocolate zucchini banana bread. It was pretty stale by then so he could only nibble off small bits but still managed to get chocolate everywhere!  What a goon. He's also unknowingly pointing to where his last little baby tooth is trying to grow in. We can't wait for it to poke through so we can finally help him get out of his misery.

Comments

  1. Hmmmm? Elk muffins? I'd have to give that a try. You are such a creative mom Shannon. Nice sense of humor too--more corny than doggy--haha.

    Love Momma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...