Skip to main content

Grocery Groove, part 1

When time is of the essence, I try to get as much in from the van as possible each trip, I can definitely relate to this :)
I would have to call myself the "official" grocery shopper of our family so I had to learn how to read sale flyers, navigate the isles of grocery stores and shop for an ever growing family. Along the way I have learned many things through trial and error, especially shopping with little ones in tow. I am going to do a multipart series on how I save a few dollars at the store starting off with the largest money saver of them all...

Plan, Plan, Plan
Before I ever leave for the grocery store I have a grand master plan and this is what works for me.

  • Look at the sale flyers for the three major grocery stores in my tiny town 
  • Compare prices on basics I know the price of from my store of choice to see if I can get a better deal from another place 
  • Write down great sale items
  • Check specific deal blogs that show deals matched with coupons to make it an even better deal http://www.frugallivingnw.com/ is one of the sites that I use to find out the best deals at Fred Meyer 
  • Write down the basic specific items we are out of that I want even if I don't know they are on sale. 
  • Organize my list by type (dried goods, produce, meat, dairy) that way I don't wander all over the store looking for things. 
  • Go through my list and estimate the prices so I have an idea of how much of my budget I will be spending and I also leave a little wiggle room for clearance and forgotten items. 
  • On my list I also have a column that reminds me what items I have a coupon for and what type of coupon it is (such as an e-coupon or a manufacturers coupon)

Fred Meyer Super One
 Price  Grocery Item  Coupons  Price  Grocery Item
 $3.00 Lunch Meat  $4.50 Blueberries x 3
 $1.50 Pop Corn  $3.00 Raspberries x 2
 $2.00 Canned Tomatoes/Beans x 4 in-ad  $1.50 Black Berries
 $4.00 Rtiz and Wheat Thins
 $1.67 Sour Cream
 $1.67 Cottage Cheese
 $3.00 Gold Fish Crackers x 2
 $3.50 Creamer x2 mc
 $2.00 Hand Soap
 $1.00 Bananas
 $6.00 Trail Mix
 $4.00 Granola Bars


 $2.00 Grapes
 $3.00 Lunchables w/ fruit mc
 $3.00 V-8 Smoothie mc
 $4.00 Yogurt c, yoplait
 $2.50 Ice Cream e-c
 $1.00 Popsicle e-c
 $2.00 Raisins e-c
 $2.00 Pretzles
 $2.50 white sugar
 $3.00 pancake mix
 $58.34

The above is a sample of my grocery list from last week. I don't normally type it out but thought it might help keep things organized. In theory it was a cool idea but it took me way too long between breaking up wrestling matches and nursing a tiny baby. Apparently we were running low on snacky things at this point in time.

  • Plan out the path I am going to take through the store (this sounds wild but it really helps me)
  • Grab reusable bags because my grocery store will take off $.05 from my total for every bag I use. Hey a quarter is still a quarter!
  • When I get to the store I also try to park near a cart return because it's so much easier to just roll at cart a few feet when your groceries and kids are all tucked away in the vehicle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...