Skip to main content

Back to School Shopping

Back to School. Having actually had both kids in school last year, this is the first time they are going back to school. I did get a little bit smarter this year, and I also learned some things for next year (though Danielle will be graduated so that will change some things). I took two different approaches with our two different kids in school. 

For Dylan we started early. We've been lucky enough to know several people who give Dylan their kids' outgrown clothes so he didn't need too much this year. I bought a big lot of clothes from an online kids store called Crazy 8. Really cute stuff and really cheap on clearance. He couldn't try it on and I bought a little big because he grows so fast (so some of his pants might be a bit baggy for a while) but it will work out. After about half his budget was gone there we shopped the consignment store in town Hand-Me-Down where we found a great NorthFace jacket knock off for $5, Goodwill and Garage Sales for most of the remainder of the things on my mental list. He also really wanted to get undershirts to wear this year. I don't know if it is because Shane wears them or maybe his friends at school but I think it's one of those things that shows he is starting to get some independence too. Follow that up with some token boxers and socks and he is covered. 

With Danielle we sort of did it all in one shot. She got a few things at a local store but since we live in a pretty small town (read: no mall within 30 miles) we drove to the big city to get all of the shopping done and tie it in with dropping her off for a visit with her mom who lives far away. We shopped in the U-District near the University of Washington in Seattle and then went to the Alderwood Mall. About 8+ hours of shopping (not including the 2 hours of one way driving) we had spent all of her budget. I think she'll do ok with what she got. Since she is 17, going on 18 I really had to give her a lot of independence even though most of the shirts she got were short sleeved. If she's cold at least she has a nice jacket from last year. 

Me lagging behind, trying to keep up with a shopping teenager at Fred Meyer

Driving in the U-district in Seattle. Trying to smile but loathing driving in traffic, especially in our giant truck. Don't get me started on finding parking.

Danielle taking a picture of herself during the drive

The goods, minus one outfit we let her take to her moms. Still trying to convince her that school clothes are for school.
Today I pulled out all of Dylan's clothes that I had been gathering and started washing them for the big day. Ten days until the Ellensburg Fair and Rodeo starts, which around here signifies the end of summer. I can't believe how fast it went. Only two weeks left until I have to again put the future of my kids in someone else's hands. Dylan's teacher last year blew my every expectation so hopefully this coming year is great as well. Danielle didn't get the schedule she was hoping for but that should work itself out pretty well after the first week or so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...