Skip to main content

Summer Schoolin'

Isn't that clever? I was spelling school, where you learn, but used a slang version, where you get to be lazy. The best of both worlds.
Anyway this summer has gone by far too quickly. Dylan will be starting school in less than a week. Second grade. oh.my.gosh. Where did the time go? He was just a tiny little sprout when we moved to Ellensburg, and now he is going to start 2nd grade. That means I am the mom of a second grader, ahHH! Except I have two other little ones to keep me young right? Right. So after the whole fancey restaurant incident, the bar was raised on summer fun so next we tried to play school. I made a desk in the bonus room using two cubby shelves and a random board I found in the shed. I'm not sure where it came from or what Shane had planned for it, but it is almost exactly perfect so I took the liberty of using it. It is not very deep for an actual desk, but perfect for little hands for now. So for this play school I made all sorts of fun water crafts, experiments and even found cool books about fish. Oh yeah this mom was going to do it right. 
The only problem was that since it was so cool to play school, the boys want to do school every day during the summer now. So now I've gone through Dylan's old work books, come up with several research projects for Dylan (including boas, bull sharks, salmon and China) and the boys have had tons of fun and hopefully haven't had the "summer slide" I've heard can happen. I even found a free typing program that Dylan has had fun messing around on. 

The boys at their desk.

Fish cut and paste project

Math fishing

Dylan trying to catch the correct answer

Dylan working on his boa research project. Apparently I distracted him taking this adorable picture.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...