Skip to main content

Mr. Dylan Turned 8 (A Shark Birthday)

I can hardly believe that my first born just turned 8. We celebrated this sweet, caring, funny boy by throwing him an awesome shark party. He is so interested in learning facts and figures about the ferocious, blood-sniffing mammals. We had fun coming up with sharky details and doing a little learning while we were at it. 

His big party was mainly family but I still wanted to have a game in case the weather was nice (which it was, t-shirts and sunshine!). To make a totally free and fun game I duct taped a velcro catch mitt to a 13 gallon tub lid. Then I duct taped brown thin cardboard - the extra they put inside a roll of wrapping paper I had saved and finally found a use for - to the plastic lid and spray painted it sliver. I drew eyes and gills with a sharpie and cut out the mouth over where the velcro mitt was. After painting white teeth I taped to a box for stability. I also drew fish on the ball for a little more effect. Now we have a backyard game for the summer months to come too!

 Shark fin cupcakes. Dylan always likes to bring fun cup cakes in to his classroom so to go along with the shark party I made chocolate cake with blue wrappers, frosted with white and blue frosting and topped with glazed sugar cookies. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter and just basically cut the tops off to get the right shape. 

"What is your favorite type of shark?" Dylan asked everyone to graph their favorite type of shark. There was a tie between hammer head and great white. 

 Shark (Jaws) cake. Sugar cookie lettering above and body with thin mint eyes and blue berry nose. My inspiration came from this post on Pinterest. Nothing like it but a close second. 

 Pizza, shark word searches and the shark cake. 

Frugal decor, I used my own printer and didn't have any colored ink, so black and white works just fine. Painters tape also makes a fun band on the water bottles. 

 Only picture of the shark I carved in a cucumber... the things some moms do.

The boys having a ninja sword fight.

 Dylan's toothless grin. He has three teeth growing in on the top and two on the bottom.

 Dylan and Lincoln watching a movie in the playroom.

Dylan and his two best buddies eating breakfast the next morning. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...