Skip to main content

Crock Pot Chicken, Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole

I love me some chicken divan. Oh wee baby how I do. But it feels like it takes me forever to make. And the kitchen ends up in a tornado mess. And it really isn't that healthy for you. But that's why it is a birthday and special occasion kind of dinner, right? So on my quest of making life easier while trying to reach our goals I decided to try a crock pot, freezer friendly version of chicken divan... and it's a one pot meal. Those are pretty handy to have around too. So cozy up to a creamy, steamy bowl of goodness. Or serve it on a plate with a salad if you're fancy like that.


One Pot Chicken Divan or Crock Pot Chicken, Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole

1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 lb. broccoli, cut into bite size pieces (or 1 package of broccoli flowerets)
2 medium carrots, dices
2 cups brown rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 can cream of chicken soup (or make your own homemade and healthier version)
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs. mayo (omit if desired)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

For Crock Pot:

Add all ingredients to a greased crock pot. Cook on High for 3 hours. Top with shredded cheese when 30 minutes are left in cook time.

For Freezer:
Add all ingredients to a gallon freezer baggie. To cook, thaw and dump into crock pot. Cook on high for 3 hours. Top with shredded cheese when 30 minutes are left in cook time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...