Skip to main content

Impromptu Freezer Cooking

I love the idea of Once A Month Cooking, where you cook once (one day) and have meals for the entire month in your freezer. We have a deep freezer which we bought a few years back so we have the capability but I've never wanted to pony up that kind of money or time commitment. Plus I think it would be more fun to do with a friend anyway. I did some back when I was pregnant and trying to get ready for the baby but haven't planned and big hauls in a while. Today I got some motivation, which is hard for me to come by these days, and decided to do a little impromptu freezer cooking. So I grabbed some frozen meat and a few other things and went to town. 
 Utilizing multiple burners at once to save some electricity. Things were going smoothly but I realized it was taking quite a while to defrost the burger. Then little perfect Lincoln woke up from his nap right in the middle of everything so that slowed me down to half speed but I still got a lot done.
 The makings of a big pile of Mexican Filling which include ground beef (about 2 lbs.) onion, bell peppers (which I had previously chopped and frozen when they were on sale) many a seasonings, can of chopped tomatoes in juice and chopped carrots. Love my food processor for things like that. Filling can be put into casseroles, tacos, nachos, chili, enchiladas, etc.
So with three pounds of ground beef, some leftover shredded chicken, two cups of rice and a few other things I managed to pull together 8 different meals.

  • Chicken Pasta Bake 
  • Teriyaki Marinated Chicken
  • Teriyaki Marinated Beef
  • Dirty Rice
  • 3 Bags of Mexican Filling
  • Meatloaf - not my special recipe but just a quick substitute
  • 3 Servings of Rice - Planned to use with enchiladas, rainbow rice, and stir fry

This is what happens when you try to pacify a baby while finishing up the cooking process. Carrots everywhere!
The devastation 

Big front teeth, a few more trying to make their way out

Deep in thought

Move Quick!
Just before he grabbed the camera with those nasty carrot hands. Luckily it was easy to clean and I got the kitchen back in shape. We are eating the chicken pasta bake tonight with some crusty bread and salad. I used two different types of noodles since both boxes were almost out so hopefully no one notices. Summer is right around the corner and it's nice to know I've got some dinners started in the freezer when our routine gets thrown out the window. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...