Skip to main content

Oh Lovely Chicken Divan

Today marks my last official planned freezer cooking day for now in preparation for the new baby. I might end up making something next month, but really the freezers are getting quite full and until we eat down some things, it's quite a tight squeeze at the moment. Chicken divan, if you've never had it, oh you are missing out! This was probably the most requested birthday dinner in our house growing up and it is one of my ultimate comfort foods. It has vegetables, kids like it, and it really isn't that expensive to make either. It takes a little time because of the different layers so doubling it is a great time saver anyway (or if you have a smallish family just put half in one pan and half in a different pan for another meal. And finally the long awaited:

Chicken Divan
2 packages/heads broccoli frozen or fresh (I like to use the florets when I can find them)
2 cups sliced/shredded/chopped cooked chicken (cook any way you like, baked is probably juiciest)
2 cups condensed cream of chicken soup (about 2 cans)
1 cup mayonnaise (substituting miracle whip was a bad idea I had once)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water, drain. Arrange the stalks in greased 13x9x2 pan.
2. Layer cooked chicken on top of broccoli.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder. Spoon over the chicken.
4. Sprinkle cheese over the top of sauce mixture.
5. Combine melted butter and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the cheese. (In our family we double the crumb mixture because it just makes it better :)
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. Allow to sit a few minutes before serving with rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...