Skip to main content

Sugar Sugar, Ah Honey Honey

You are my candy girl... I had to put that song on youtube to listen to while writing this post. I don't think the Archies would make it in today's pop market, but I love the song none the less :)

After dinner the boys were running through the house and I didn't want them watching another episode of Jesse or Honey Boo Boo so I got out my trusty roasting pan, poured about 1/4 of a cup into it and let them play in the sugar. -Make sure not to put too much sugar in or you won't be able to see what you are writing- I told them they could draw whatever they wanted. Dylan drew a dice and Lincoln made a bunch of swirls. He also made an alien and a spaceship and told a whole story. Unlike crayons or paint, when drawing in sugar, the picture can easily evolve, or be erased by a gentle shake of the pan. It might also be fun to put a drop of food coloring in for a slight change to relate to whatever holiday or season it might be. 
They boys have had so much fun over the last few days, doodling whenever the desire strikes. I've also used it to have Dylan hone his new skill of cursive and to practice his spelling words for the week. 



I love his attention to detail.

Comments

  1. I remember using sugar on a cookie sheet with Josh for spelling too. Dylan is a great cursive writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea! I love watchihg Linc lick his fingers after each dip in the sugar pan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...