Skip to main content

Chicken Life Cycle Extension

Each day our first round of chicks keep growing and thriving and it has been so fun to watch. Since we have one more round of chicks in an incubator and the whole world is at home wondering what to do, we thought it would be fun to bring you along for the ride. According to my calculations we are currently around day 16/17 of embryo development for these Americana and Olive Egger chicks to give you an idea.



If you are going to be following along on our egg hatch this coming week then I found a few mostly free resources for you to share with your kids to enrich the process.



Worksheets

Handwriting and Simple Coloring Sheets (free):
https://inallyoudo.net/chicken-life-cycle-coloring-pages-free/

Life Cycle Work Sheets:
https://www.livinglifeandlearning.com/chicken-life-cycle-worksheets-for-kids.html

Life Cycle of a Chicken Printable Poster Set (free):
http://www.communication4all.co.uk/Science%202/Life%20cycle%20of%20a%20chicken%20poster%20set.pdf

Egg Letter Cards free Printable to see how may words your kids can come up with:
https://www.homeschoolingmykinetickids.com/2020/01/egg-moveable-alphabet-cards.html

Extension Packet if you really wanted more curriculum and don't mind paying for it:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Chickens-An-Animal-Study-2973284

Videos

K-1 Video of Development:
https://youtu.be/5mDNWJRxg-I

Super Cool Illustration of a chick developing:
https://youtu.be/PedajVADLGw

Jr High/High school age video of Embryo Development:
https://youtu.be/-Ah-gT0hTto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Infinity and Beyond

Well beyond five years that is. February 22 marks our first date and somehow Shane even remembered that. Since I feel like a crumb-bum of a wife lately I set up a special little thing to show him how much these last five years have actually meant to me. (I get that it isn't our wedding anniversary but any day can be special so I wanted to make this special too) I wrote him a little love letter and put out five things that are meaningful in our relationship together, quite the mishmash if you ask me, but it works. In no particular order: 1. Motley Crue - We we to our first concert together over the summer to see Shane's favorite band and I got to get my 80's on while he got to relive the glory days. 2. The Spiderwick Chronicles - We went to see this movie with our nephews for our first official date. I think it's sweet that now the boys watch it all the time. 3. Coffee - We have shared many conversations, hours, and events all while drinking coffee. We both love it

Overnight Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls

I've been tweaking this overnight sourdough cinnamon roll recipe over the last few months and I think it's finally, exactly, the way I like it. We love this for slow weekend mornings, to take to family and friends, or for special holiday get togethers. It's also the same recipe I use when making them to sell locally. I've been keeping it under wraps for no reason in particular but it's just too good not to share.  I don't have a reliable kitchen scale so this recipe uses good old fashion cups and goes a lot by the feeling of the dough. It will get messy but don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out just right the first time. No matter the flop, these cinnamon rolls will never disappoint taste wise.  The PDF printable can be found here or you can keep reading.  Overnight Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls  The night before you want to make rolls: 8 Tablespoons cold butter, shredded (a whole stick) 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or bread flour  1/2 cup sourdou

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children.