Skip to main content

Watercolor Wolf Moon Info Sheet {Freebie}


According to the Farmer's Almanac, the full moon in the month of January is called the "Wolf Moon." We had a few extra hands on deck so I decided to change gears for a minute with our homeschool plans to focus on what was currently happening around us rather than a ridged schedule;  making a themed day about moon phases and  meteors. We checked out moon books from the library, used our Julia Rothman Nature Anatomy book, printed out flash cards, practiced moon writing in cursive, and found all sorts of moon activities on Pinterest. 

 

I was set until I couldn't really find something fun, beautiful, and specifically about this month's wolf moon - so I decided to make my own, and offer it as a printable to anyone else who might be interested. 

Behold the Watercolor Wolf Moon Info Sheet 



I also created a few Meteor Vocabulary printable word cards to introduce new words and explain the difference between a meteor and meteorite, which I myself didn't realize there was a differentiation between until now. 



We also added extra STEM into our day by having available moon clip multiplication, “moon rock” Mancala (with black beans), and performed an experiment called Moon Crater Drop. We dropped various objects of different weights and diameters into a cornstarch and clay powder mixture to measure the depth and diameter of the object’s crater on the "moon's surface." This was such a fun activity, but maybe next time we will have different moon surfaces for each of the kids to control their own. We used this template for our Moon Crater Drop Observation Sheet. 


Naturally any homeschool day would not be complete without all the snacks. I used cucumbers to show the different phases of the moon but they kids were more excited to try it with mini Oreos too! 




Now the only things left is to keep our fingers crossed it will be clear enough at night to get a quick glimpse of this Wolf Moon through the clouds tomorrow. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...