Skip to main content

Curry Chicken for the Freezer

Here is one of our new favorites. I love Thai food and when I worked outside the home I would stop at a Thai place around the corner from my office a few times a month to get their Yellow Curry Chicken, 3 star usually (medium spicy level). I've looked online for recipes to recreate it at home but most have pretty exotic ingredients that I don't buy on a regular basis, meaning I probably wouldn't actually make it. Then the other day I realized I could rent books on my kindle from our local library and the first one that came up was a freezer cooking recipe book called Fix, Freeze, Feast: The Delicious, Money-Saving Way to Feed Your Family. I made one batch for dinner last night and two for the freezer for when baby comes. Although it wasn't completely in the same ball park as authentic Thai curry it was delicious, everyone in the family liked it, and it wasn't too out there or spicy and I had everything in my pantry to make it. Win-win.

Curry Chicken

6 lbs. Chicken Breasts (the authors suggest the trays you can buy at Costco, I just used two packages about 2.5 lbs. each and it still made three meals)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups chopped onion
1/4 cup curry powder
2 T minced ginger (I used bottled to save time)
2 T minced garlic (again I used bottled)
2 T sugar
2 T chicken bouillon granules
2 t salt
1 cup flour
4 cups water
4 cups milk
2 T lemon juice (I forgot this although I might add with the next two batches)
3 one gallon freezer bags labeled with contents and instructions

1. Rinse and trim chicken as desired. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink (I cooked in batches so I didn't overcrowd the pan). Remove from heat and cool. Divide cooled chicken evenly among freezer bags.
2. While chicken cools, melt butter in a separate large saucepan (I used a big pot) over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, ginger, garlic, sugar, bouillon, and salt; cook stirring for 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes longer. Mixture will be like paste. Gradually add the water and milk; cook, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Whisk to make a smooth sauce. Add lemon juice only after sauce has thickened. Cool.
3. Divide cooled sauce over chicken.
4. Seal and freeze.

To Cook
1. Thaw completely.
2. Heat in a large skillet over medium heat until heated through.
3. Serve curry over rice.

I also added steamed canned carrots to mine since it add a tiny bit more nutrition, sweetness, color and the kind I used to buy had steamed carrots and potatoes in it so it just felt right.

A big pot of curry sauce

Right before I threw it all in bags, extra rice to freeze with it on left, leftovers for lunch today on right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...