Skip to main content

Bounty of Poultry

Shane has a way of getting his hands on the weirdest things for free (including house plants, chocolate, lean cuisine meals, chorizo, yogurt etc) and he recently came home with a windfall of chicken. Forty pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I'm estimating it's worth at least $80 around here considering I think about $1.99 lb is a decent price. All we had to do was separate it. It seemed to come in about 10 pound bags all frozen together in one giant chicken pop. After defrosting it, we BBQd about 2-3 lbs for dinner yesterday and stuck whatever we didn't eat in the fridge because Shane is going on a diet kick and says he will eat chicken all the time. (I think those extra 6 pounds might have something to do with all the baking I've been doing lately, sadly no more) This is my most favorite type of meat to work with... or eat but I don't always have it around so I am more than excited. Here's what we did:

I threw about 7 pounds into the crock pot with about 1/2 cup water, garlic salt and pepper on low overnight for about 10 hours. I shredded all of it, set aside two cups for chicken divan for dinner tonight and mixed the rest with BBQ sauce for chicken burgers sometime when we have a crowd over. With graduation and the new baby coming soon I figure that will be really easy to serve if we need to.

We bagged up another about 15 pounds in 2-4 pound portions for ease of thawing. I made a huge list of meals that I want to make eventually when I have all the ingredients on hand with the chicken such as: coq au vin, chicken parmesan, chicken quesadillas, chicken fijitas, chicken chili, homemade chicken taquitos and chicken and biscuits. Yum I'm getting hungry.

Here's what I've actually made and put in the freezer since yesterday... man not sleeping well sure gives you plenty of time to plan.
chicken curry sauce
Teriyaki Chicken, chicken curry x3, sliced for Stir Fry, teriyaki chicken burgers, orange chicken, chicken piccata, the chicken divan and the shredded chicken. I love that most of the meals are freezer friendly! Can't wait to eat them all.

Oh I forgot to mention that I also made taco meat and pulled homemade refried beans out of the freezer so the family can have tacos the night I stay at the hospital... man I am so ready for this baby to come.

Comments

  1. LOL.... never look a gift chicken (or is it chicken horse?) in the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--what a blessing! Your list of chicken recipes/ideas look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this , it's amazing to look up your recipes and bam I have ideas too!!!!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

We love chicken in our house because it is yummy, very versatile and somewhat affordable. It is also Shane's meat of choice for his "tone and sculpt" plan. (ok so I just love how special he is and really I am not making fun of him)  I generally try to find boneless, skinless chicken for less than $2 a pound. These days it is getting increasingly difficult, even looking into Zycon or Costco so when I found some for $2.30/lb I got all the had... two packages. I frozen one because Shane will BBQ that for lunches on the weekend. With the other package, which I think was about 3.5 pounds or 5/6 breasts, I was able to look on the monthly menu plan and figure out what chicken type dinners I had coming up and chop from there. Since the breasts are usually very thick I slice them in half, like a top and bottom part. Then I either chopped up into bite sized pieces or froze whole. For less than $9 in chicken I made four meals that will serve at least two adults and two children. ...

Belated Christmas Pics

Because I didn't download any pictures for a while, and then it was after Christmas and things got wild for a while I kind of skipped over the actual holiday so several weeks late, here is how we spent our Christmas. I didn't get any pictures when we were over at Shane's family's house but we spent lots of time over there too.  All four kids in one picture together! Warner kind of blends into the tree skirt but his little baldish head stands out. Luckily the matching pajamas I bought for the boys last year still fit too.  Head lamps for spying on Santa. Opening presents was a daunting task for Lincoln. I think this was when he realized asking only for a "princess and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" wasn't the best of ideas. Don't worry he got plenty spoiled. The messy aftermath. Lincoln playing in his new tiny little kitchen. My brother and dad at our house. My mom and brother decorating a giant gingerbread...

Crafty Christmas Inexpensive Gifts

I was going to say cheap gifts... but hopefully the receiver of the gift doesn't think so, so inexpensive to me just means that the person giving would rather spend time on thought rather than money, right? So here are just a few of the things I have been up to lately... Still have a few more ideas to finish but I am getting close and with only 18 days left, it's about time! Iron on transfers. I love them. They are so fun! And I love personalizing things. So my previous experiences haven't been 100% great with transfers but hey I'm not selling my stuff to the public so I think it's ok. I used them to make two tote bags (luckily the receiver of the aunt bag below is not my sister Jackie... so don't get your hopes up!) a super hero cape and a baby gift. If you search printable transfers or iron-ons there are tons of cute ideas everywhere. Next time I buy transfer paper I am getting clear though because the white didn't work as great as I had hoped but sti...